Friday, November 8, 2013

Lotion Bars!

I am quite sure Wellness Mama is my absolute favorite place to visit online if I am looking for a certain herbal remedy, or just have freetime to scope the net a bit.  I tried her recipe for lotion bars and they turned out really well! 

Recipe:
1 part coconut oil (I did 1 cup)
1 part shea, cocoa, or mango butter (again, 1 cup)
1 part beeswax (1 cup)
opt. vitamin E oil to preserve (1 tsp)
opt. essential oil for fragrance (about 25 drops. I chose lavender)
 
Here is what I did:
1) Melt all the above ingredients EXCEPT the essential oil in a double boiler. MIX WELL!
*You can create your own double boiler by simply putting a quart jar holding your ingredients to melt in a saucepan over heat with about 1-2 inches water in the saucepan.*

2) Remove from heat, and add essential oil to your mixture.
- some great scents are lavender, cinnamon bark, chamomile, etc. But experiment with your favorite!
 
3) Pour into molds 
- clean yogurt containers work wonderfully, but know that you should not use them for food again
- you can also pour the mixture into a 9x9 pan lined with wax paper and cut into bars after it cools

4)  Cool completely before removing from molds. 
- the refrigerator works wonderfully to speed up this process.  If you're like me, you're very anxious and excited to see your job well done! :-)
- make sure family and guests know this bar isn't soap! Maybe get creative with a stamp that says "lotion".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment and/or question! I will get back to you as soon as I can! :-)