Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Chicken Tortilla Soup


Give a little kick to your winter soup!  I was especially excited about this recipe because I was able to use up some food in my fridge and cupboards that were almost on their way out.  It felt really good to pop open 3 jars of canned goods and 2 bags of sweet corn my mother-in-law was kind enough to freeze for us. :-)

The recipe with common measurements:
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed and cooked
4 (14oz) cans chicken broth
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 cup white uncooked rice
2 cans Mexicorn
2 cups salsa
1 T. lime juice
tortilla shells or chips 

The recipe I used:
1 pint my canned chicken
1 quart canned chicken broth
2 tsp ground cumin
1 cup white uncooked rice
1 pint bag frozen sweet corn
1 chopped jalepeno
1 pint canned salsa
1 T. lime juice
baked corn tortilla shells

Steps:
1) Cube and cook the chicken (because I used canned chicken, all I had to do was open the jar!)
2) Add other ingredients, except tortilla shells, and heat through
3) To make tortilla strips: Cut 4 corn tortillas into strips about 2" long. On a saucer, pour a small amount of vegetable oil.  Toss strips in oil evenly and place on baking sheet.  Bake at 350degrees for 10 min. or until golden brown.  Top soup with cheese and these strips.  Bon appetit!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment and/or question! I will get back to you as soon as I can! :-)