Tuesday, February 18, 2014

An Herbal Home Pharmacy

Many of you have asked, "Maggie, could you make me a list of what you have in your cupboards and diaper bag?" 

Sure!  This is a great idea, and I have been meaning to find the time to make this post.  Before I begin the list, please note that my husband and I are on a tight budget, so the companies listed may or may not be the best and most effective out there.  Most were a company's sale items to get me as close as possible to the best, and if that is the case, I put in parenthesis what I would have LIKED to have bought instead.  Also, instead of going through the trouble of taking and posting a ton of pictures here, the items can be clicked on to find their picture and company website online. :)  Please don't be afraid to ask questions or leave comments!  I have had many of you facebook or email me with some GREAT questions, and I feel honored to be a part of your exploration into the natural living world! Happy Healthing! 

In my kitchen "herb" cabinet:
coconut oil (mind is refined, which is used mostly for cooking, whereas unrefined would be best for health uses)
- prenatal taken daily BEFORE pregnancy
- prenatal taken DURING pregnancy (I think this product is better so I save it for when I am actually pregnant)
calcium citrate plus D (calcium carbonate is a "lesser" form of calcium)
- activated charcoal
- liquid elderberry extract
- liquid echinacea
- chewable Chamomile tablets (for both teething and labor pains as it helps you relax safely)
- Tea Tree oil (make sure it says it was made in Australia as the American version uses a different distilling process that alters the product)
- Lavender essential oil (used mostly for fragrance in lotions, soaps, etc)
- Motherwort tincture (the tincture I had was made at home, but the link is for information about motherwort and its benefits in the world of motherhood)
-Lobelia tincture
-Fenugreek capsules (nursing productivity)
-L-Lysine (immune function)
- 2lb. block beeswax for making salves, lotions, lip chap, etc
bentonite clay (used in our remineralizing tooth powder recipe from Wellnessmama.com) 

In my Tea cabinet:
- rose hips
Chamomile tea (this is just the type from the local grocery store, but has worked great so far)
red raspberry leaf tea (since purchasing this, I have found how to harvest my own leaves from our raspberry plants each spring)  
- nursing support tea (can be found at Target)
- homegrown catnip 
-basic black tea (used for making a warm eye soak for pink eye)


On my wish list:
These are items I will either be growing, exploring, and harvesting this year OR items I will be purchasing soon with my husband's hard-earned money. :)
Chamomile (Roman) essential oil (scroll down. Note how expensive 1/8 oz is, but it's a very powerful and useful item.  Just a few drops carries heavy weight for many natural remedy recipes.  I am also growing this item this season, but will not have near the quantity or equipment to harvest any essential oil.  I will be keeping the flowers for tea.)
- spearmint
- peppermint
- catnip
- calendula
- lemon balm

Pills I 'Pop' Daily:
- 1 of the BEFORE pregnancy prenatal
- 2 calcium-magnesium 
- 4 NFX (fertility support)
- 1 generic folic acid
- 2 prolamine iodine (thyroid support)
- 1 B-12 vitamin
**I also try to drink a few cups of iced red raspberry leaf tea with my calcium water mixed in. Don't forget the honey! :-)** 

Great General Items to Keep on Hand:
- fresh garlic
- white vinegar
- apple cider vinegar
- baking soda  
- otoscope (GREAT item to put on your birthday list!)
- stethoscope and blood pressure cuff set (I haven't used mine yet, but am ready if I need to!)  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment and/or question! I will get back to you as soon as I can! :-)