Monday, June 9, 2014

Rhubarb-Blueberry Freezer Jam

My mother-in-law makes the best desserts with rhubarb, and this recipe is no exception!  Enjoy this splash of summer anytime of the year! :-)
Recipe:
7 cups chopped rhubarb
2 cups blueberries (or strawberries, raspberries, etc)
7 cups sugar
2 small packages raspberry Jell-O


Step 1: Chop and cook rhubarb. If you are harvesting some of the early rhubarb of the season, you do not need to add water was it will make it own juice.  For later in the year, add a dash of water to help the simmer get started.  Cook on medium to medium low until soft, stirring often.


Step 2: Add in sugar and blueberries. Cook until sugar dissolved and blueberries are soft.

Step 3: Remove from heat, stir in Jell-O.  

Step 4: Pour into clean freezer containers. You can use glass, plastic or even freezer bags.  I prefer to use secondary pint jars (non-Mason jars) and even keep my old lids and rims from canned items I have opened as we are not concerned about sealing but rather just freezing the jar.  You can use old yogurt containers, cottage cheese tubs, old icing cups, etc.  

Step 5: Freeze and Enjoy! This freezer jam will keep well in the freezer for over a year.  Happy Healthing! 
 

2 comments:

  1. Can you can this instead of freezing? I never have room in my freezer. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In order to can this recipe, you will probably need Sure-Gel or another like additive. That said, you may want to scour google or pinterest to find a similar recipe that is can-able. I have not tried canning this recipe, but do know what you mean about freezer space! Experiment and report back with what worked well for you! :-)

      Delete

Feel free to comment and/or question! I will get back to you as soon as I can! :-)